We envision a community with a safe, comprehensive, low-carbon transportation system that compliments smart land use planning, focusing growth and vitality inward toward existing infrastructure, neighborhoods, and public services. Our community will develop infrastructure and new growth that is adaptable and in the direction of existing services, while promoting a bold “multi-modal” transportation network that empowers people to walk, bike, and bus and is an efficient, affordable, and sustainable way to meet our transportation needs.
November 2017. Mountain Line is holding a series of open house listening sessions to share ideas for where our community bus transit system should head. There are decisions to make and we need your input. Read the Missoula Current article here then attend one of these.
More information at Mountain Line.
Have you heard of our Smart Growth - Active Transportation project? Click here to see what we've been up to.
- October 2017: Transportation is our Bucket of the Month. Check out a recap of our Oct. 5 Monthly Meetup on our blog!
- Mountain Line received a $500K grant to begin purchasing electric buses!
- September 2017: Walk & Roll Week combined Sunday Streets, One Less Car Day, Cycles of Change and more! Thanks for commuting sustainably.
- March 2017. Climate Smart released our community's first ever Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory and Transportation is the largest piece of the pie. Yikes. 37% of our emissions for the Missoula Community come from the driving and flying, with a little from our rail system. Check it out here.
- September 2016. You may have noticed we have combined Transportation and Smart Growth. Overlapping goals, alignment and expert opinion led us to do this!
- We're excited to see the new electric buses on the UM campus - go ASUM Transportation!
- The complete Bitterroot Trail--from Missoula to Hamilton--opened July 16th!
- Missoula is No. 4 in the US for commuting by bike! Read more here.
TOP STRATEGIES from our 2015 Climate Action Plan
Reduce Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT)
Enhance Expansive, Accessible, and Affordable Public Transportation
Develop Safe, Comprehensive Transportation Infrastructure
Integrate Transportation and Smart Growth Strategies
Our Work, in a Nutshell:
Helpful Community Feedback:
Ready to get involved?
Contact the Climate Smart Missoula Leadership Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
What's smart, accessible to all, and promotes health and environmental safety? Read about Sustainable Infrastructure after the Automobile Age.